The role will require you to provide technical support to the sectors of the business, including the above ground structures and tunnelling teams, as well as support for the tendering team developing construction methodology, and lead the projects through the preconstruction design phase producing designs, as well as provide technical support through the construction phase supporting the site teams.
You will be capable and competent to check and be self-sufficient to produce high quality designs and CAD drawings, coordinated with the design team.
Help to develop and mentor the design team, to be dynamic and produce design ad-hoc.
Be competent to apply Temporary works design principals in accordance with BS5975 standard, but equally capable to apply permanent work standards with design solutions in both timber, steel, reinforced concrete and of proprietary structural systems.
Typical application of design will consist:
- shaft design, including buoyant stability, jacking collars, reinforced concrete bases, tremie plugs, cover slabs opening support structures, and all the ancillary associated temporary works.
- Timber Headings
- Microtunnelling/Pipejacking, including: thrust walls, head walls, launch frames, pipeline proof loads
- Excavation Stability and support, with a thorough understanding of geotechnical principals for shoring techniques and design of sheet piles & frames, PC modular units, king post,
- Earth work stability slope stability analysis, soil nailing
- Concrete formwork
- Crane platforms.
- Ground settlement analysis, from tunnelling and excavations
There will be a multi-cultural work environment which will allow for you to thrive and will be a place recognised as a centre of excellence for quality constructible design.
Requirements: knowledge, personal skills and experience required:
- You will be educated to a Master's level degree in Civil and Structural Engineering, however, consideration will be given to Geotechnical and Mining degree backgrounds.
- You will be Chartered or near with a recognised institution, such as the ICE or IStructE, but not essential.
- You will possess strong experience with expertise in underground structures / tunnelling temporary works and having worked within a design consultancy environment.
- You will have a high level of technical skill and accomplished structural design skills and possess a sound geotechnical grounding.
- You will have team leader capability with the ability to help support, mentor and develop junior engineers within the team.
- Sound understanding of health and safety regulations, design risk assessment process in line with CDM H&S regulations.
- You will have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with the team and external clients.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Show leadership to manage and mentor the team of engineers and technicians
- Mange projects to a tight programme
- Ensuring design assessments and checking and approvals of designs to current standards and company quality procedure
- Coordinate project's design undertaken by external consultants and third-party checkers
- Liaison with clients and the project construction teams
- Mentoring, and help develop the design team of junior engineers and assist with professional development.
- Contribute to the success of the business with business development and aid tenders when required